Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Care Givers are Angels

Brought "Miss Feisty" home yesterday.

First of all let me tell you I HATE hospitals, HATEUM, HATEUM, HATEUM. Like I Hate Lawyers, and Bankers. So for 8 days I lived in one from 8am to 8pm for a friend. She was scared, and lonely, and so sweet. But let me tell you she received the best care in the world. I received the best service in the world considering I was always under foot. She had a private room, a registered nurse, and a nurse assistant. She was treated like she was the only patient in the hospital. If she needed something, and pressed the call button a nurse was there in less than a minute 99percent of the time. Due to her surgery control of her functions was hit or miss. When that happened they were prompt to clean her up, and change the bedding, sometimes as often as three times in one hour.

She had a steady stream of doctors. I just watched them come and go. I don't mean come in say how are you and leave. Every doctor asked questions, gave answers, and was genuine conserved.

The job of care giver has to be one of the toughest jobs a person can accept. To do it with care, and a smile takes a special person.

The USA has the best medical personal, best doctors, best care givers, and the best hospitals in the world. The place is spotless. Everyone knows their jobs, and the place runs like a well oiled machine. I was impressed!!

Every one there loved Miss Feisty, hell they even liked me. I was offered breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I could eat with her. I politely declined, as I would help Miss Feisty to eat. The first couple of days she had to be coached just to take a few bites. Another requirement she needed was to try and walk every day. Day one was three steps. When we were leaving she was mad because they said she had to leave by wheel chair. The woman amazes me.

I stayed an extra day at her house to make sure every thing was fine and she felt safe enough to be alone. Then I called every one of her children,and explained that there are laws on the books about cruelty to seniors. That I expected one of them to come over every day after work for the next 30 days and check on Miss Feisty, and if they could find it in their hearts maybe stay at least an hour just to talk. I'll leave the meat of our conversation to your imagination, because when I get pissed my language sometimes gets colorful. I also said I would call every night to make sure they would comply.

Again the staff, doctors, caregivers, definitely 5 stars!

No I still HATEUM, just not so much.

I NEED SOME RANGE TIME.

See Ya

9 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

My sister is nurse supervisor at a senior convalescent home. I only hope she's a good at her job as those you describe.

Miss Feisty is fortunate that you were there for her.

YeOldFurt said...

Glad to hear Miss Feisty is home and doing well. This is a time for socializing and keeping an eye on her. You know she'll try to do too much if left to herself.
Keep her spirits up and have fun yourself on the range.
YeOldFurt

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

It's gotta be a tough job they all have. Sounds like you got a bit of angel in yourself also Tony.

Sandcastle Momma said...

I'm so glad she's home and recovering. And I'm glad she's got you. You might not want to admit it but you've got a soft heart :)

Did it MY way said...

My grand daughter is a nurse at All Childrens hospital.

Miss Feisty is doing well, and seems surprised her children are showing some interest in her well being.

So....all ends well.

Thanks to all.

See Ya

HermitJim said...

It's a shame that someone had to call her children and remind them of their duty to Mom. Let's hope that the message got through to them!

You did good, buddy!

Grace. said...

I'm glad you called her kids, and called them on their behavior.

It is interesting how children react to parental incapacity. My grumpiest child turned out to be the one who came and stayed with me for two weeks while I recovered from heart surgery. Another of my "more compassionate" daughters who was living at home at the time was so upset by my brush with death that she actually moved out rather than be around to help. It really had more to do with their temperments and issues than mine.

Paladin said...

Glad to hear she's doing better! Man I agree about the hospital and staff - it can make a WORLD of difference having attentive, professional people on the job.

Lawyer said...

I have great respect for those who do their job with love and professionalism. But I have even more respect for those who chose to care just because they want to. Great job.