Sunday, April 18, 2010

What to do when kids will not listen

I am very proud of both my children. They were absolutely a joy to raise. Unfortunately they refused to take any advice regarding money. Both have very good jobs, and thought they were living The American dream. Both also thought I was having a mid life crisis. I had a beautiful condo, and a very successful business. They thought I was throwing away everything I worked so hard to have. Telling them the Freedom I have now they seem to at least realize how happy I am. Now back to them. They are both very private about their money problems. I have just found out that my son's wife has not worked for the past year, and they are three months behind on the mortgage. Son sold several toys to stay a float, and now works two jobs. I hated to hear him say that I was right, and now he has a big hole to get out of. But also the courage to do it. My daughter on the other hand decided to file for bankruptcy(second time), and then go to Vegas to celebrate. She says since she works every day she is entitled. Not on my dime, or on the dimes of the honest people paying their credit card bills. Her excuse was the banks raised the interest rates to the point she had more out go than income. Not the banks fault. Cash has no interest charges.



I laid out my preps to both, and again said in that regard I would help. I have a one year supply of food for one. I purchased a one year supply for four more adults, and delivered it to them. I also told them where they could find me if the SHTF. At least they can eat for a year if nothing else.



The main reason I have been gone is moving various supplies and equipment to three different locations. Man I am tired. My thinking of having all my eggs in one basket is not a good idea. Moving a ton of ammo, guns, cloths,tools, and metal working equipment alone is more than a two day endeavor. Work three 18 days, sleep one for 12. More on this later.



Also bought the land I wanted. More on this later.

My 26 day hiatus has been very productive. But at 69 I wonder if it was all worth it. Since I still wish to live as long as possible I think it will be.

Tomorrow is range day. I did not forget about "Buy a gun day" so a break-in day is required.

Good to be back. I missed all the blogs, and really need to catch up. However not hearing no political bullshit for all that time was refreshing.

See Ya

17 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Congrats on the land purchase. If it's the piece you mentioned some time ago, it's a good thing.

Welcome back.

Fred and Wilma said...

I have two daughters also in dire straits. One at least still holds a job, if you call $11.00 per hr. a good job. The other is un-employed. Both are single mothers.
Talk about sleepless nights for mom and dad! So Tony, I kinda know what your going through.
Hang in there, sleep tight my friend.

Mayberry said...

It's always "worth it"! Yer alive man! And doing what yer doing is keeping you that way. Congrats on the land purchase, and here's to many years of enjoyment. As far as the kids go, get them prepping, and to hell with the financial crap. Let the banksters wallow in the crap they produced. Usury is evil, and I think folks are beginning to see that. I got no sympathy for crooked credit card sharks, nor banksters who's "credit" has driven the price of life beyond reach of most folks....

SciFiChick said...

Tony WELCOME BACK! I've missed ya!
I'm glad to hear that your kids are finally "getting" your love of your new life.

I can hardly wait to hear about your land! I did a little happy dance for ya when I read that.That's what you have been telling me.... Things will come when its time for them to come to you.

Glad to have you back in the blogosphere and have fun at the range! (pics please)

Sandcastle Momma said...

Welcome back! I am so excited for you. I know getting that land purchased will take a load of off your mind. Can't wait to hear about it!
Sorry about the kids - I hope everything works out for them.

Borepatch said...

Also bought the land I wanted.

Congratulations. I have to say that I'm envious. But let us know what's up when you're ready. I (at least) am taking notes.

WomanWhoRunsWithHorses said...

Good for you, Tony, about finding your piece of land. All the time you spent hunting for it can now be devoted to ENJOYING it.

I feel for you about the kids. Raising kids is a joy and the hard part is letting go. It starts with their first ride on a two wheel bike ...sooner or later, we gotta let go. They will take some spills but that's how they learn, right? I agree with you on the daughter's philosophy. Yeah, banks and credit card companies are pretty much crooks these days ...but letting our kids always blame someone else does not help them build character. She will learn too. She's got a good dad.

: )

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Good to see you again Tony. I don't have kids, but I don't really think there's much you can do to help them. But what do I know? Congrats on the land purchase, I'm eager to see more on that one. Glad to see things a going good.

YeOldFurt said...

Welcome back, Tony.
Glad to hear of the land purchase, sorry to hear of the kids' financial woes, but they'll learn (maybe the hard way but the apple never falls far from the tree).
Will expect range report later.
Good idea to divy up preps.
YeOldFurt

HermitJim said...

Hey Tony...it puts a smile on my face and makes my heart happy that you have the land! I'm so glad to have you back...and if you need some help moving anything, don't hesitate to let us know! I'll bring my old truck down and we can load her up!

Welcome back, brother!

Northwoods said...

Congrats on the the land Tony.
It's been said there are only two lasting bequests we can give our children..one is roots and the other wings!
As each of my five kids left the nest I told them I may not understand nor approve of their adult decisions but.."I will always love them, provide a roof over their head, food in their stomachs and a hand up not a hand out"!..(though I'll have to admit I've broken the "Hand out" rule too often).
As TSHTF I fully expect them to all return to the nest (with grandkids and spouses in tow).
Oh well, that's all been prepped for and should have no problum filling the OPLP roster then ;)
Fathering (like an oath to our constitution) is a life long duty..proudly fulfill both my friend!

Grace. said...

Ah kids! Particularly adult kids! Can't tell'em a thing; can't strangle'em without a lot of pesky legal consequences; can't help loving'em anyway.

It's a good thing they give us grandkids!

Congrats on the land purchase--I hope it is all that you've been anticipating.

Diogenes said...

Glad to see you back. I completely understand having a vacation away from the Politico BS. Envious, I am.

Welcome back.

Did it MY way said...

Thanks everybody. Time off was very productive. Almost thought for awhile I was back at work.

Kids will work to correct the problems, and if the SHTF they will have a place to come to.

The land is out of the state of Florida, but just the most beautiful 15 acre tract of woods I have ever seen. Easy to hide in.

Range closed all this week for repairs. Time to build my own.

Thanks again guys & gals, you all feel like family.

See Ya

Shy Wolf said...

Ya mean ya wuzn't FISHING all this time? EGADS, Tony- yer breakin' my heart.
Congrats on the land- may it be all you'll ever need.
I know your pain with the kids- ugh-leee to say the least. My son left home cuz I told him he ain't getting a free ride... living with his mother now, free ride there. He doesn't have anything and won't even look for work... wish I knew where I went wrong. :(
Anyway... nuff whnin'. Welcome back.
Shy III

treesong said...

Hey Tony, Glad to see you back. As you can tell, I'm way behind on my blog reading. Congrats on the land purchase - but I haven't noticed your vehicle around these parts so that's a disappointment. There are is a pavillion on a 100x200 lot here near the Sportsman's Club which has a firing range. You could still consider that so we could be neighbors! Anyway, look forward to seeing pictures of your land. As for the kids, it's amazing that people make terrible choices and still think preppers are a bit weird. Oh well, you know what they say about leading a horse to water. Treesong

theotherryan said...

Glad you got the land. As for the kids who knows. My siblings do things that make me shake my head back and forth. Sure I have given my folks cause to do the same more than once. As for money and life these days who knows. Personally I drank the Dave Ramsey cool aid awhile back and am liking it. This year we got a nice TV and a gently used low mile SUV with cash and it is May. Next we will get entirely out of debt (my student loan) and then save for a modest home.