Friday, April 30, 2010

A Friend in Need.

When I was still working, and owned my condo I had a lovely sweet elderly neighbor who had lost her husband. She has 9 adult children all living with-in 10 miles of her. Several of her children come to visit her on Fridays, and stay for a couple of hours.

Our condos faced each other, and she got into the habit of visiting me most evenings when I came home from work. She just needed someone to talk to. I'd take her out for dinner once a month. After I sold my condo I promised I would keep in contact. I have. Last Saturday I paid a visit, and found her some what distraught. She had colon surgery scheduled for Monday and needed to be at the hospital at 5am, and needed transportation. I did not ask about her kids, but I did say I would be happy to take her. She was up at 3am, and ready to go when I arrived at 4am. Her prep time was two hours, and the operation was to take 3 1/2 hours. I thought to myself that was one hell of an operation.

She had told her children that I was going to take her to the hospital, and they all agreed since I was retired that would work for them. I often wondered what they would have done if I had not just drooped in for a visit.

Two of her daughters arrived at 9:30 to see how things were going. Surgery was complete, and after an hour in recovery we were allowed to see her for just a few minutes. I told them that I would be here every day until she was discharged, and gave them my cell number.

The next day they called to see how she was doing. I stayed from 8am until 8pm when visiting hours ended. I will be doing this until she is discharged. Her face just lights up when I walk into her room. She talks all day and I listen.

She talks to the kids each day by phone, but so far no visitors but me. This 79 year lady has gone thru so many hardships in those years. Her stories could fill volumes. I'm proud to call her a friend. She may be discharged Monday or Tuesday. Until then I will be at the hospital from 8am to 8pm listening to her stories. No more posts until then.

See Ya

11 comments:

Borepatch said...

Nothing more important than family. I don't have any idea what's with her kids.

Diogenes said...

Sad that her kids are that absorbed in their own lives like that. Still it shows how our society has changed our habits in just a few decades.

I enjoy hanging out with the older people in this area, they have great stories, better attitudes about life, less self centered.
Keep up the great work with her, its worth it in the experience alone.

Sandcastle Momma said...

Sad that her kids don't make time for her. They're lucky she didn't treat them that way when they were little and depended on her. I'm glad she has a friend like you. We'll say an extra prayer for her and hope she recovers well.

Mayberry said...

That pisses me off when I see family ignoring their elders. Makes me sick...

Paladin said...

Good on you for being there for her, even when her own kids are dropping the ball! That's really cool and I'm sure she appreciates it more than we will ever know. My best wishes to her for a speedy recovery, and I hope her kids wake up and stop taking her for granted.

One day it will be too late for them to show her they love her.

WomanWhoRunsWithHorses said...

You would think that out of 9 adult children, there would be at least ONE that would be genuinely concerned and compassionate for their mother!

I wonder if these 9 children have children of their own ...and what THOSE children are learning from watching what their parent (don't) do.

You're a good friend, Tony.

terri sammons~~Life is Good~~ said...

You, my friend, are the true definition of being a friend! She is a very lucky lady to have you. People just don't realize that all life boils down to is...relationships and helping each other!! Going thru rough patch as we speak now but u always give me encouragement and show me what life is all about!! Hope to see more post soon. I will be praying for your friend!!

HermitJim said...

Your kindness just reflects what a good person you really are, my friend!

Makes me even more proud to know you!

God bless you, buddy...and my prayers go out to the neighbor!

SHARON said...

You are a good man and a true friend.

mupedalpusher said...

You are one hell of a friend...the kind she needs right now.

JC said...

God Bless you indeed. The hours you give to this lady will stay with her forever. You must be such a blessing in her life.

Her kids - well...