Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tires, Guns, Time, and Work

As usual when the shtf it all comes at once. As any vehicle owner knows tires do wear out. But they wear differently on different vehicles. Also time comes into play. For example my 2002 Silverado has 78,000 miles on the factory tires. The truck is driven almost every day during the week. My 2004 "Little One" only has 18,ooo miles and needs new tires. Why? First of all the tires was manufactured in 2003 which now makes them 7 years old. Also most of those years was setting somewhere. Not good for tires to set. Sun does bad things to tires setting. There are covers to protect, and also uv treatments for tires. The normal life for MH tires is 5 years. So I'm pushing it. The tread looks great, but further inspection shows the side walls getting soft. So Saturday was tire day. Four nice new top rated tires took $686.00 from my wallet. Now that buys a very decent 1911, and or a lot of ammo. But my life style needs good tires. So win some lose some. Of course nothing goes according to plan. I had an appointment for 8am when they opened so I did not have to spend all day there. My house does not like to be alone. The special tire guy does not show up until 9AM. This does not look good already. Upon arrival he says we have a problem. When does WE and MY $$'s have a problem. Well the problem is non of the lifts can lift my van. Say What? They have the solution- 10 ton floor jack. Fine-so whats the problem? It will take about 5-6 hours to take off the tires, mount and balance, and install. Ok fine I'll wait. They did push the 6 hours.

So I arrive at my daughter's house around 4pm. SIL is cleaning up a section of the garage where we plan on putting the second safe that is stored at my x SIL. So of course I pitch in. Worked until dinner time. Dinner was damn good.

SIL asks after dinner when 1 of 400 is due. I say maybe Monday or Tuesday. So I go online to check the tracking number. SOB it was delivered Today at 1:20Pm to my favorite gun store. I could have had it in my hands Saturday! Now I can't get it until 10:00am Monday.

So thats how Saturday went. Sunday I read my favorite blogs, and reloaded 2000 rounds of 45's. I want to be ready for Monday.

See Ya

7 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Of course, you know you owe us a range report a.s.a.p. Sounds like fun.

Ken said...

...it's not fair,it's not fair...

...o.k,it's a little fair,just fill us in after first fire...

Mayberry said...

Six freakin' hours to change tires just because they had to use a floor jack?! Oh, my pu**y hurts.... Jeezus, I coulda done it in an hour or less. What a crock!

theotherryan said...

A stainless commander is a very nice thing to have. My next 1911 (some day) will likely be in that range though almost surely not a Colt.

HermitJim said...

Sounds like you had a productive, but long day! Can't wait to get the range report!

Have fun, buddy!

Diogenes said...

2000 rounds is a good break in session for a 1911.

Now I need to get my hands on 2000 rounds for mine.


RANGE REPORT?????

prolix said...

i read this blog to enjoy it...Tires Miami