Friday, January 15, 2010

Five Acres Found-Five Acres Lost

The search goes on. The search goes on. Found & Lost. Some days you are the pigeon, some days the statue.

I remember the piece of ground I had in West Branch Michigan in the 60's. Beautiful small town, three acres of woods, dirt road, no nosey neighbors, and no stinking permits. Septic tank was a 250 gallon oil tank. Pipes to the field was 4" diameter aluminum coin shoots from a bank. System never failed in the 15 years I owned it.Common sense still worked then....don't put your septic system in an area to foul your well. Other construction still used common sense then to. Build your roof so it did not leak, right peak so snow did not collapse roof, etc etc. Why go on. Those days are gone. Today you need three of everything, approved drawing you have to pay a fortune for, every portion of construction done by a LICENCED contractor, then inspected 30 times before you are considered safe. Think Chinese dry-wall?

Damn I was born 100 years to late.

The five acres I had found was good looking land to. All woods and acess by a good dirt road, and for Florida high ground. Being somewhat smarter than last time I deceided to find out if there was any restrictions, and what was the CODE requirements. Yah I should have known. How about needing a permit for an address? Permit for driveway? I won't bore you with all the additional permits required because my head would explode. The search goes on.

See Ya

8 comments:

Mayberry said...

Buy land. Screw the permits. That's my plan...

Sunfighter said...

People think I am kidding when I said I spent years looking for the right piece of land.

My #1 concern was RESTRICTIONS !!! This should be the #1 thing to look at. Both in the land contract and the county/state.

I've seen restrictions that make the land useless even if it was free. I do have some minor restrictions, no school buses, abandoned cars or junk piles. That's about it and looking at one neighbors land, not strictly enforced either. I need a perc test to put in a septic tank, the county has NO BUILDING INSPECTOR. You can get away with a lot.

I just dug down deep in my pockets and had to cough $49 dollars for taxes (for 3.5 acres). Just about broke my bank account ;-)

So my advice is don't be willing to sign the dotted line until you've thoroughly researched the contract, the state and local laws, or you'll be sorry...

Did it MY way said...

Sunfighter:
Where are you?

Diogenes said...

Check out southern KY. Only permit you need is for the septic and thats not all that bad really. Once they sign off on that you get your electric and no more permits or inspections.

One reason I am building there when I start building.

Sandcastle Momma said...

You need to come up to the panhandle and look along the Florida/Alabama line. The counties in the north end of the panhandle and in south Alabama are about 50 years behind the times. You don't need no stinkin permits up there.
And there's still a lot of land that's slap in the middle of nowhere.

HermitJim said...

Good luck on the continuing search, brother!

Mamma Bear said...

We are in the panhandle. You can still find reasonable property here but still need permits for quite a lot of things. Some people get by with things and others do not. There are quite a few people who have pole barns and live and park their campers and motor homes in them.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Rootin you on with your search Tony.