Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Can You Ever Really Be Free?

I really don't want to turn this into a rant. I have worked all my life, paid my dues, and paid for all of my mistakes. All I want in the days I have left is to be left alone. I am self sufficient, have adequate funds, most of my mental facilities, everything I own is free and clear. Since August of 2009 I have enjoyed being a free spirit, and bother no one.

There are millions of what are called "Full Timers" in their 5Th wheel trailers, the McMansion 40 foot buses etc. Some are called "Snow Birds" filling the "Encore" resorts here in Florida for the winter months. God Bless them and their lifestyle. The resorts have everything needed to live the good life. Heated pools,club houses, big screen TVs, entertainment to rival concerts. For the privileged at $50.00 and up per night. I don't wish to live that life-style.

Last night was the first time I was hassled by any law enforcement. The names have been changed to protect the Innocent. I was parked on a residential street visiting my girlfriend. Before I could exit the van flashing red and blue lights was behind me. A loud speaker barked "Get back in the vehicle NOW." Ok mister policeman. Ten minutes passed before he decided to approach my van. I rolled down my window, and asked if there was a problem officer? His response was license, registration, and insurance please. I complied, and back to the squad car he went. I regress-while this occurred three more police cars had arrived, and a few people had come out to see what was going on. When the officer returned his first question was "Do you realize that no camping is allowed in this city?" My laughter did not help the situation. When I replied that I was just visiting, not camping, my van was not a camper,and it was my daily driver, he said he knew a camper when he say one. When I asked him why my registration stated 2004 Chevrolet 3500 Express Van he had no answer. By now the fun had worn off, and I was about to become pissed. In my most polite voice I asked to speak to his supervisor. He stomped back to his police car, and in about another 10 minutes yet ANOTHER bubble factory arrived. When said supervisor was once again told the story he informed me that new ordinances have passed, and not all of the officers were up to date. WTF? Since when does a van look like a 40' motor coach? Besides I was legally parked.

He had no answer, decided I was legal, returned my documents, and told me I could park there for the night. In my most humble voice I thanked him for "Allowing me to be legal". So five police cars spent an hour and a half harassing an old man instead of looking for criminals. No need to thank me criminals just do not try camping in this neighborhood.

Further research found the greedy camp grounds were responsible for pushing the new ordinances to drive traffic to their business. Pack-um in like sardines, and raise the fees. I guess greed never ends. Once I find my piece of land I won't have to put up with that shit. Any place outside of the cities I have found the kindness people. I've been invited to eat, use their showers, even wash my van. So I'm still not bitter, just pissed off at being hassled, when all I want is to be left alone.

See Ya

10 comments:

Shy Wolf said...

Gawd, Tony- I wonder if perhaps we all should become accustomed to such crap? We know it's going to be more common the nearer we get to the Stuff Flying.
The blessing to you is they didn't decide to do a drug search and then decide to test your 2A rights. So I guess it's "count your blessings"?
Glad you made it thru the profiling scenario safely, tho.
Shy III

Mayberry said...

The local revenuers have been really busy lately. Come to find out they unleashed a herd of rookies in the area. Great. Newbies with a superiority complex and shiny new ticket books to fill up...

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

I don't think you can ever be totally be free Tony. Unless you're lost on some deserted island or something. Even on your own land, there always seems to be something they can get you on if they really want to. I never realized all these things when I bought my land 7 or so years ago. Back then I had all kinds of imaginary dreams of the way I was going live out here someday, but that all got changed by others.

Sunfighter said...

Same old, same old. If I had a dime for every time I've been hassled by the man, I'd be rich.

I've been woken many a night with a flash light in my eyes. Not in the last 10 years, but as I try to educate people, this has been going as long as I can remember.

This ( America ) has always been a police state, most people are just not aware of this reality.

The police have been busting heads as long as there have been police. I am not being a loud mouth here, but I am always amazed how people think this kind of nonsense is new...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

A good friend has magnetic door signs that say "Security". He will find a parking lot and set up with his signs. He is rarely questioned.

Bustednuckles said...

Jackass Revenue Generators.

HermitJim said...

Tony...we can't beat 'em...and I damn sure ain't gonna join 'em, so what are we gonna do?

Just pisses me off to no end, that's for sure!

Bitmap said...

My suspicion is a neighbor has a problem with your vehicle parked on the street and called in a complaint.

theotherryan said...

Don't think anybody likes being hassled. Sorry you had that experience.

The Hermit said...

That's a really negative experience. Our Sheriff's deputies up here don't act like that. Every time I've come into contact with them they've just been other people that lived here. I suppose in any organization there are few little Hitlers, though, and it sounds like you had the misfortune to run up with one of those.