Thursday, April 23, 2009

The year 1959

I was so lucky to have grown up in the 50's. We lived on 5 acres, at the end of a dirt road. No neighbor had less than 5 acres, and their houses were not seen unless it was winter. We walked to school, or rode our bicycles if we were lucky enough to have one. Our play grounds were the woods, a sandlot baseball field, or a neighbors yard. We had fathers, uncles,neighbors, that took us hunting and fishing. Everybody knew everybody. Some had troubles-neighbors helped.
I thumbed my way back and forth to the summer job at the golf course which I started at age 9.

Life had a slower pace then. Family dinner every night included all members of the family. Sunday dinners was spent at Grand parents houses. My first car at age 16 in 1959 was a 1947 Plymouth business coupe. Cost $25.00. Life was good. I miss those times.

Well at least today I have the 5 acres back. Florida may not be Michigan, but at least I don't have to shovel snow. It's nice to take a lawn chair, set out in the woods and watch the sun come up with a cup of coffee in hand, listening to mother nature. Going to build a little shack in the middle so I can escape this crazy world we live in today from time to time to regain my sanity, and just to get out of the noise.






In 1959 the USA looked like this:


1. Yearly Inflation Rate USA 1.01%



2. Average Cost of new house $12,400.0019.



3. Average Yearly Wages $5,010.00



4. Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents



5. Average Cost of a new car $2,200.00



6. Movie Ticket $1.00



7. Loaf of Bread 20 cents



8. Kodak Movie camera $67.50



9. Ladies Stockings $1.00



10. The year I graduated from high school.

3 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Then a few years later, I came into the world and everything turned to shit. lol. But in all reality, I sure wish I could go back in time and check it all out. Sounds like it was kinda nice back then Tony.

HermitJim said...

Sorta makes you realise that progress isn't always such a good thing, if it chips away at the foundation of the family core.

My first car was a '49 Chevy...$50 bought from my Dad!

Now you got me going down memory lane! Thanks, Buddy!

tsiya said...

Mine was a 51 Plymouth. It ate a main bearing and I learned to overhaul an engine from it. The girl I dated had a strict father, he would come out and check the car before she could go out with me. I sometimes had to scrounge around among my friends to find a tire with tread left on it. Sometimes we all had slick tires, and I was out of luck.