Friday, March 6, 2009

Septic Systems on the cheap

Ah yes the poop has to go somewhere. Not nice to have laying around the homestead in piles-cows do that. Besides that little pile of tp on top can't pass for flowers. The good old outside half moon house was good when no running water was available, but damn uncomfortable in winter, and the middle of night.

Enter that modern marvel called the septic tank. A chemical disposal apparatus buried underground. Waste products go in, and the chemical process begins. The hungry microscopic little shit eaters go to work. Water leaves the system and flows thru pipes to an area called the field where it drains. Ever so slowly the sludge that remains falls to the bottom of the tank. Over the years this builds up and a back-up of the system tells you you need to have this little chemical factory pumped out. Out comes the honey wagon - pumps it dry, and you are good to go. How many homes today are still on a septic system? Most modern cities have the sewer lines.

The cost of a complete septic system today is around $5000.00-$10,000.00 depending on location. Needless to say heavy equipment is required, and of course don't forget about the f**k**g permits, and inspection required. The first thing I learned in my younger days about plumbing was that shit runs downhill.

I bought a piece of ground in Michigan back in the 60's. Nice little town, good country people, not a lot of money available. When I put my trailer on the propriety, I talked to a few of my neighbors about who to call to install the septic system, and what permits was required. Well to my surprise I found the county I was in required no permits or inspection. My 10 acres was the smallest in the entire county. My closest neighbor was a nice country boy about my age and offered to help me build the septic system. At that time "Common Sense" was still alive. Everybody knew the septic system needed to be at least 50 feet from the well. Now comes the good part. A septic tank is just that a tank. Mine was a 250 gallon oil tank. We cut the incoming hole and out go hole with a torch, welded the incoming pipe and out go pipe to the field to assure no leaks, and that part was finished. The field pipes came from a bank. The only time a bank did me any favors. They were from an antiquated coin transfer system. They were aluminum, and 8" in diameter. We drilled them full of holes so the water would drain. A couple of young strong backs, two shovels, and a block and tackle took care of doing the job.

We used that system for 8 years, and when I sold the propriety I told the new owner how it was built, and exactly where the field was. In that length of time it was pumped out twice, and no sign of seepage of the tank leaking.

Here it is 2009, and guess what kind of septic system will be on my homestead? You got it. "Common Sense" and that old plumber saying "shit runs down hill" will prevail again.

Now it's off to the homestead for the week-end. If I can't get on line see ya Monday.

See Ya

3 comments:

HermitJim said...

Hey Tony...makes good sense to me! Don't know why we need all these permits and inspectors and all...

Guess they are trying to make sure that they still have a job.

Bustednuckles said...

It's amazing how many people figured out how to make a septic system in their backyard with out a permit and an inspector and still survived all these years, isn't it?
Wink.

I had to clean out my Granny's one time with rubber boots gloves and a five gallon bucket, it had a lid on top you pried off. That is something you don't forget, ever.

R J said...

Handling the problems of septic tank is not an easy deal. You should always get the repair work done from an experienced service provider. Mike Diamond (http://www.mikediamondservices.com/) is one name which I trust for doing all the plumbing jobs at my house. I have heard that these guys also do cleaning and repair work of septic tank. If you are in search of an experienced name in the field of plumbing work, I highly recommend Mike Diamond.