Monday, February 9, 2009

What salary could you live on?

Well I am 68 years old, and totally debt free. I'm a simple man, like to hunt, fish, read a good book, and have everything I need or want. Damn life is good. Plus so is my health.

I have worked since I was 9 years old, and my wife was a stay at home mother helping to raise 2 wonderful children. We spent every single dime I made as fast as I made it. No thought for re-retirement, and I never worked anyplace that offered a pension. My children are grown with family's of their own doing well by today's standards. My wife and I had a wonderful marriage of 43 years before she died due to kidney failure.

Did I do it all wrong? I don't think so. Since I have no investments I did not lose 40% of them. I have owned my own business for the past 28 years with good times and bad. I made a lot of money, and I lost a lot of money. Today I can't give the business away. Do I care? Not in the least. I did it wrong,took to long, but I did it my way. Ha Ha Very few people can say they have a job they truly love.

So what's next? Well I have my 5 acre's to play with, and my camper. The business will go away one way or the other. I will now start lowering the price of the condo until it sells for what ever.
All for a waded crinkled dollar bill. Which means there may be a few bucks left when the smoke clears to put in the bank.

For working all of my adult life and paying double into the Social Security System for the past 28 years I am now entitled(hate that word) to $16,632.00 a year. Man I am rich! I'm a happy man. I am going to live off my good fortune for the rest of my life.

How much, or how little yearly wage can a single man live on? I'll try and keep you up-dated as I head out on the adventure. Till then.

See ya

2 comments:

HermitJim said...

Good post, Tony. Those of us with simple needs and simple pleasures in life will find a way to be happy and live life "our way" in spite of what comes our way!

Have a great day...

Ginger said...

Thanks for posting this. I needed to hear this today. I'm lucky I can live on less than most and looking forward to the future. I, too, have lost nothing. We lost ours just after 9/11 and we've had plenty of time to get used to it. Again, thanks for posting.