Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Silence

Forty seven years as a producer. The years just seem to slip by when you are doing something that you love. Forget the nay Sayer's that hoped you would fail. Forget the red tape, government taxes, the banks that would not give you a loan, the customers that took 120 days to pay, the mandatory insurance rip-offs, the employee's that think you work for them, the machine dealers that are willing to sell to you for the 26% interest rates(because they know the banks will not lend to you), your account(who told you to close the business at year 3), your wife(who thought security was working 40 hrs for the man). Well they did not stop me.

I always said "I did wrong, took to long, but I did it my way".

The small business man, the mom and pop stores that help keep this country going I salute you. You are a dieing bred. Thanks to the greed of the non producers(banks,lawyers,government,and crooks with brief cases) your time is ending with no replacements to follow you.

I'm doing what they thought would never happen. I QUIT! I did not give up, and can still continue, and possibly even grow the business again. But I have decided to with draw what ever talent, and abilities I have from the world we live in today. What I know belongs to me to use as I see fit.

The shop is silent today. Deafen silent. Not even a radio playing. I never thought I would have the courage to quit. I'm looking for any auction house that will auction off the shop.

As I walk thru the shop, I remember each machine, and when and why it was purchased. They each have a specific function to the whole of the shop. Good by friends-you have served me well. Forgive the damp eyes.

The funeral(auction) will take place asap.

The new life begins next.

See ya

2 comments:

HermitJim said...

I know it must be hard, my friend. But as you said..."You did it your way"!

I think that ending it at your chosen time, in your chosen way says a lot about who and what you are...a true, self reliant American!

Glad you are letting us tag along on the rest of the journey!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Ditto what Jim said Tony, I know I could'nt have said it any better. You're the only one who knows what should be done. I know change can be hard sometimes, it is with me anyway.